Friday, August 22, 2008

Hands off

Mike Sugarbaker drew my attention to this article about sexual harassment at Comic-Con. I'm linking to it here because, as small as my readership is, the more people who are aware of this kind of thing the more likely the folks that run the Con will institute a zero-tolerance policy for sexual harassment of attendees and guests and provide a means for people to report this kind of behavior and have it acted on.

Personally, I don't know if I'll go back to the Con. I enjoy it, but it's expensive as hell to stay in San Diego and the Con is geared towards a much more plugged-in kind of geek. I don't watch TV and most of my comics reading is purely online. I find myself on the fringes of fandom.

If I was more of a toy-buyer, anime-collector, or erotic fantasy art curator, there might be more of a draw for me. As it is, my experience if cons is directly related to who I am hanging out with while sight-seeing.

Basically, Comic Conventions are a lot like Vegas for me in that sense....

No comments: