Wednesday, October 08, 2008

No politics, really

Things are quiet at Casa Wilson.

I'm still working from home, which I still love and wouldn't change for the world. The screenplay is coming along slowly but surely, and I've started working on the fourth Radiostar cartoon. Mostly, though, I'm being social. Seeing shows, having movie nights, and spending time with people whenever possible.

Ultimately though, I've been feeling a bit lethargic. I need an exercise buddy. Someone to do regular lake walks with or something. I don't tend to do such things on my own because, well, they're kind of boring on my own. I'd rather hibernate, or watch something, or read, or create, or do anything than just exercise for exercise's sake. It's always been that way.

Nothing much is currently happening on the relationship front, other than me periodically meeting someone, getting interested, and then getting a kind and flattered but ultimately uninterested response. At least, that's how I perceive it. I've never been good at telling when someone isn't interested versus wants to be pursued. Generally, if I make a move and don't get a response, I move on.

This makes it sound like no one has expressed interest, which isn't true, but the challenge is getting interest on both sides. If I could rationally decide who to be attracted to, life would be so much easier.

I had a conversation about this very recently with a friend, who expressed the sentiment that if such and such a person she had been dating wanted kids (and wanted them now), she'd overlook her general lack of attraction to him because he was such a win in every other way.

This kind of horrified me. I understand the impulse, sort of, but it seems like a good way to sabotage things from the get go. I don't believe in "the one", but I do believe that you need something at the core of love other than "works on paper".

Granted, this is also a conversation between someone in their mid twenties and someone in their late thirties. Heaven help me, but I think I've got the "Perspective."

See, age has been a frequent area of reflection lately. As I'm doing less theatre producing right now, my savings is increasing and I'm watching the declining price of homes with interest. I'm 38 and have always rented, and done so happily. I've made little moves every three years or so and really like where I am currently at. I explored buying about six or seven years ago, but just didn't have the resources. Since then I've been doing Cassandra's Call and making periodic jaunts around the globe, so my savings aren't what they might have been had I hunkered down to work up a solid down payment.

Now I'm looking at a 30 year mortgage and wondering how that works when you're almost 40. This also ties into the relationship thing, as the kind of house that I would prefer over my apartment isn't something I can afford on my salary. A dual income, absolutely, but otherwise... not so much. I could get nice places, to be sure, but it would force me deep into the suburbs or even out of state, and I've built too much here to seriously consider that.... or have I?

Deep questions about lifestyle, age, and love are my preoccupations currently. And of course, there is the big question of what happens next with the election next month. But I did say there wouldn't be any politics in this posting.

1 comment:

Pen said...

dan. if you're asking us if you should get married just to buy a townhouse in Alameda...

I guess, it would be a nice place to have rehearsal.

ahah. Alexis