Friday, June 26, 2009

Curious conversation

I head into the back yard to water the garden. From over the fence I hear:

"Hey!"

"Hey," I reply.

Hey!

"Hey," again.

I continue watering and a young man's face appears over the fence. I've met a couple of the guys from that house, but it seems to have a lot of visitors/family/etc. Not someone I'm familiar with.

What're you doing?

"Just doing some watering."

Is that a garden?

I look at the neat and ordered rows of plants, the row of flowers, and the netting on pipes that keeps cats away.

"Yep. It's a garden."

A slight pause here, then

What are you growing?

I give the usual litany. Tomatoes, green beans, zucchini (although it is not growing well), lettuce, etc.

Do you like weed?

Ok, now the conversation just got interesting, although I'm not sure where this is going.

"No, never really been a big fan."

Do you know how to grow it?

While I would have to assume it would involve light and water, I say that I don't.

Oh.

A longer pause, then finally

I have my medical card.

He then proceeds to mutter something about his legs being fucked up, and then drifts away.

I've been offered weed to smoke (or eat) on numerous occasions but not until I became a homeowner was I asked to grow it for someone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sandy soil, lots of light and water.

;}

lex