Friday, August 18, 2006

rapid progress

The first week of rehearsal is done, and already this is looking like we've got a winner on our hands. I couldn't be happier with my cast. They're sharp, funny, and talented as hell.

We worked "Got it", and Sam Shaw and Paul Jennings are proving to be a fantastic comic team. We found a lot of bits together that turn a funny scene into a hilarious one. It only gets better from here.

I was pretty nervous about blocking the oral sex scene (no, not between Sam and Paul). I had a couple of actors express interest in the script, but who didn't feel comfortable with that particular part (which is pretty crucial), so my paranoia was pretty high as it was. There's something distinctly awkward about telling people, "ok, now put your head between her legs. Um... how far up are you comfortable with?" Again, though, the actors put each other at ease and everything looks good at this stage.

We still have ten rehearsals to go before our Fringe opening, which isn't much since we haven't even touched Catz' monologue or the last half of "Good", but people are already mostly off book, and once we start doing run throughs we should be able to run it twice a night.

If you're in the area, I highly encourage you to come on opening night. I expect a lot of buzz for this show, and it may be hard to get into later shows.

No comments: