Sunday, September 09, 2007

in spite of myself

Last night we had an almost sold out show for Chinese Angle, and the Chronicle this weekend ran a large picture for us in the Pink Section for Sunday's paper. Very nice. The show is off and running, and will most likely be the most successful thing I've ever directed. This is something for me to ponder as I consider the ongoing role of Cassandra's Call in my life and if I'm better off just directing and not producing anymore.

Far too early to say, though. But it's not too early to say that Submergency has been suffering from my lack of attention to it, and today was much more difficult and haphazard than it should have been. Still, we had a tiny audience (The Eureka, unlike the Playhouse, is far from Union Square), virtually no rehearsal, wonky tech... and the show was still a lot of fun. The squirtguns-short form comedy combination is pretty fool-proof. As long as the performers are having a great time being vicious to each other, the audience has a good time as well. It's kind of like Who's Line Is It Anyway? meets the Three Stooges.

Still, there are various things I can do this week to make the remaining eight shows more smooth and successful, so my work is far from done. Today was more like a preview, especially since the tiny house was almost entirely comps (free tickets).

No Radiostar tonight, so I should finish editing the show that needs to go up on Wednesday, but I'm extaordinarily exhausted so I think I'll push that off to tomorrow night.

I've earned a night off.

No comments: