Monday, March 02, 2009

accountability

It occurs to me that I forgot to write an important part of the last post, which is that I'm immensely grateful to have someone in my life to hold me accountable to do the things for myself that I know I should.

I've looked at Dentist offices for years, thinking, I need to do that. I've signed up for a gym, and even lasted a couple of months. I've tried this thing, and that thing, and all without any real result.

Ultimately, I need someone to hold me accountable, even if all that means is that I have to look them in the eye on a regular basis and be reminded by their example.

It's why I started writing a blog, all those years ago. I knew that without some sense of audience, some sense of accountability I would never get beyond writing a journal only during times of great distress and heartache. How very boring. By feeling that someone out there was holding me accountable, I would write more consistently.

Like most people, in a vacuum, I move towards inertia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Dan! Congratulations. I too am excited to see investments being made in your presence on the planet. What gym did you sign up for? We could go work out together... I myself have been flagging in that department.

Dan Wilson said...

oh, that was a long time ago. I didn't last very long. Literally about three months, maybe four. And that was with the gym just downstairs from my office. I found it just too hard to squeeze in a workout before heading off to this rehearsal or that event. Excuses, excuses.