Friday, July 14, 2006

Intuition

Another extremely tired morning. I went out to Brian Shirmer's last night for our weekly game night and hung out with Chris DeJong and Kurt DiSessa. More of the usual: Settlers of Kataan and Halo2. I went a bit lighter on stuffing myself with beer and pizza as I tend to feel like a stuffed sausage when I leave these things. A good night, and I was supposed to head over to Zeitgeist afterwards for an online gathering. I've been hanging out on ConsuMating.com a bit and they were having a party there. When the time came, though, I had a strong impulse to just head home instead, so I jumped on BART and planned for an early evening.

Halfway home I got a call from Mindy Lym, who has recently moved down the street from me. She and some friends were looking for a place to buy a corkscrew at 11pm. I had them pick me up at the station and got my corkscrew from home. That could have been it, but I'm not such a fool as to turn down the offer of a glass of wine with a bunch of lovely and talented ladies. So, I ended up talking theatre and relationships and watching Mindy to tarot readings until around 2 in the morning while draining two bottles of wine. Her friends were from the cast of Seussical, which I highly encourage folks to check out before it closes this month. I saw the show last week, and it was fun to get to know them.

I don't make the mistake of confusing the person for the role they play, but it's quite interesting to watch someone be the sweet and pining Gertrude McPhee and her One Feather Tail, and then meet the exhausted, sardonic woman playing her. The focus of the evening, however, went to the struggle of the director's small dog trying desperately to make friends with Mindy's kitten... who arched and hissed like a Halloween cat every time the pooch got anywhere near her. The little puff ball would just whine and try over and over again to make friends with the very unreceptive kitten.

God, it was like watching human relationships... the more emotionally unavailable the kitten was, the more the little dog wanted to be its friend.

Take what you will from this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm that kitten sometimes, and sometimes the little dog is an overfamiliar friend of my mother's, an overeager man, someone trying to sell me something, a snoopy person, a lonely person, a needy person, or a clueless person. And sometimes the little dog is actually a little dog.