Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Quick Breather

I've been enjoying taking it a little easy the last few days. We got a delightful review in the SF Bay Times (which you can read at the Cassandra's Call Website and had two very nice audiences this weekend. I was pretty freaked at our low numbers on opening weekend, but am greatly comforted by how this weekend went. Lots of my crew showed up, and 1am donuts were consumed, drinks consumed, and activity vaguely resembling dancing took place.

For the most part, I was fairly exhausted all weekend, although I managed to have lots of fun anyway. I had the Executive Leadership Center conference in El Segundo last week, and felt terribly un-prepared for it. Work on Vagina Dentata had kept me from really focusing any creative energies on the conference, and the spec's for what they wanted shifted a mere couple of days before it all went down. It all turned out well in the end, but by the time I got off the airplane Friday evening, I was dead tired. The fabulous Linda Kim drug me out anyway for crepes and to go dancing with some of her girlfriends. I was so tired I could barely stand up, and I've never found loud and dark clubs good places to make introductions. To make it worse, I found the band absolutely painful to listen to. I had to finally make my adieus and flee from the club after the second "song." Oy.

The holiday was an exercise in staying in my robe all day long. I got this week's RadioStar episode prepped (and did double duty on it since we missed last week), cleaned and then dirtied the kitchen and goofed off a lot. I feel like I should regret not going out and being social for the 4th, but I'm really quite over the whole fireworks thing and I think that I needed a complete day of down time and to recharge a little.

I can't do much more of that, though. I need to start casting for the Fringe show. I'm confirming my actors and need at least three more people. I've got two of the current cast ready to bolt for better paying jobs, so I may be casting more people than originally planned. Par for the course, really. I'm not paying much for the Fringe, it only has four shows, and it's not very high prestige. Still, I hope I can get things locked down soon. We start rehearsing in five weeks.

No comments: