Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Snowball is rolling

Tons of stuff going on. Sorry for not updating more. First off, I am a shorn lamb. I haven't put a pic up yet on Flickr, but I'll try to get to that soon. Jenene did a fantastic job on my poor little head, and while people haven't died from the shock of it, I've gotten a lot of double takes.

Rehearsals for The Chinese Angle have begun, and I'm already having a great time with this very diverse and fun cast. We're primarily fleshing out the world they inhabit, which I find to be a very grounding way to begin the process. We learned a lot about the characters that is only suggested in the text, and at least began to answer the questions that the text proposes about our shifty and unreliable personas. This is my first noir piece, but I am really enjoying playing with the conventions and the moral complexities that the genre offers up.

We're very close to a postcard image for Submergency. Mark Chun is doing the art again, and the little sailor man from the last show has become our official mascot with this card. I'm feeling a little ADD with thinking about Chinese Angle and Submergency simultaneously, but they are very different aesthetics so it's nice to be able to steer my impulses into their correct corral.

I'm looking very forward to seeing Stardust this weekend. I saw some clips last year in San Diego, so I know not to expect an extact translation of the book onto the screen, but Neil's happy with it and that gives me a lot of confidence that I'm not going to leave the theatre traumatized. Neil posted a link to this article about how spin and perception of success and failure work in Hollywood, and it is a great reminder of why I want nothing to do with the place.

In other news, I somehow completely missed the fact that Eddie Izzard was performing in SF this last weekend. I am full of fury and rage, as we didn't have Radiostar this last Sunday and I could have attended the show. I am not sure what sin I have committed to result in this travesty, but it must have been a big one. Then again, maybe the gods felt it was a little unjust, since I got a spontaneous lunch with Angela Mazur today.

This weekend looks like a fun one, with a Harry Potter Decompression dinner over at Ms. Creely's, Stardust, rehearsal, Marca Cassidy playing at the Rose Street House of Music (a house concert venue I haven't visited in years), and the reconvening of the Radiostar ensemble after a nice long vacation. There's a possiblity that I might make Three Musketeers out in Berkeley on Saturday afternoon, but after the bus fiasco last weekend, I'm not making any promises. I mean, seriously, you shouldn't have to wait 40 minutes for a bus before giving up and going to the local pub. I'm just sayin'

No comments: