Sunday, September 28, 2008

what wasn't said

First off some significant links.

Over on CNN.com there is a very interesting analyses of missed opportunities in the Obama-McCain debate. What I found most edifying was a list of factors that contributed to the decrease of violence in Iraq, *other* than the surge.

While the entire article is worth reading, there's the list of factors:

Lost in this discussion was the fact that while the surge of some 30,000 American soldiers certainly put more American boots on the ground in neighborhoods from Anbar province to Baghdad to "clear, hold and build" them and was clearly an important element in the sharp decline in violence in the country, there are several other key underlying factors that tamped down the mayhem in Iraq that neither of the candidates addressed:

• First, the appearance in 2006 of the various "Awakening" movements, in which Sunni tribes once allied with al Qaeda turned against it.

• Second, the implementation of the Sons of Iraq program consisting of some 100,000 Sunni militants, many of whom used to be shooting at American soldiers, who are now on the U.S. payroll. Now that's a surge!

• Third, the previous ethnic cleansings in Iraq and the millions of Iraqi refugees who have fled their homes, meaning there are fewer potential targets of sectarian violence.

• Fourth, the large size and increasing efficacy of the Iraqi army and police, some 550,000 strong, who are now beginning to operate with some level of professionalism.

• Fifth, the increasingly nonsectarian approach of Nuri al-Maliki, the Shia prime minister, who has taken on Shiite militias in Basra and Sadr City, an important signal that the government will act in something like the national interest.

• Sixth, the cease-fires ordered in the past year or so by the leader of those Shia militants, the cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose position in Iraq has weakened significantly since 2007.

These underlying factors made the surge a force multiplier for the fragile peace we are seeing today in Iraq. And now that the surge is over, it is those factors that might ensure that the fragile peace holds, yet neither Obama nor McCain discussed how these factors might change their own Iraq policies going forward.


---

As for me, I'm a pretty firm Obama supporter. I don't think he's the second coming, but I support him more than I've supported a candidate... well... ever. They way I see it lately, if he can deliver on a third of his promises, I'll be delighted. If McCain delivers on even a third of his promises, I'll be horrified.

---

Things are pretty mellow on this end. Work is slow, and with the third Radiostar cartoon up, and new Audio shows posted, I'm trying to turn my attention to the 411 screenplay. The Sweetie Tanya soundtrack remains in limbo for legal reasons and I need to get some work done on that front as well.

Occupying most of my attention, however, has been a pinched nerve in my shoulder that has severely limited my neck movement. After recommendations of Flexirol and acupuncture, I was assigned to be bartender at Djoke's murder mystery bar-be-que and proceeded to make super strong drinks and send everyone flying... including myself. I woke up today still in pain, but with increased range of movement. Rum beats pharmaceuticals and needles, hands down. Still, I am looking forward to being pain free in the next couple of days.

-----------

The Evil League of Evil is accepting submissions. They want applicants to sing, although it's not required. I have a few ideas, so perhaps I'll make my submission tomorrow night. If so, I'll post a link here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the neck and shoulder. I pretty much feel the same way you do about Obama. It's just that I haven't seen anybody this inspiring on the ballot for a long time. Inspiration makes the world go round, you know?

Rum IS better. Pirates are too cool to be in pain!