Friday, April 21, 2006

Florida

So, I'm sitting in a Starbucks in Ft. Lauderdale. It's the first time I've been able to get online since I arrived, so I apologize first for not getting the new RadioStar show up earlier. It's up now, though, and it's one of our better pieces so check it out.

I'm out here visiting Brazilera. I haven't seen her for a little over three years, although we've kept in touch over the phone pretty consistently. I was looking forward to spending some time together, but this week has been a bit of a bust. To say that we've grown apart wouldn't be correct. I don't think we ever had much in common in the first place, but the language barrier masked that fact fairly well. Now that we can actually have conversations, it is more and more apparent that we have little to say to each other. We've changed, certainly since we first met in Brazil six years ago. When we first met she was not a conservative Christian with no sense of humor and dour personality. It's been very frustrating, as the most fun I've had since I got out here was hanging out with her friends last night.

To make things worse, the hotel that I got online, which was marked as a three star hotel and had such nice pictures... is a complete rat-hole. I'm not that picky about my accommodations, but I can't believe I'm paying to sleep in this place. If I was here any longer than I am I'd get the hell out and find somewhere else, but my trip is so short it hardly seems worth the effort.

Ultimately though, I think that I am not well suited for Miami. Muggy weather doesn't make me happy, and the papers have more ads for plastic surgery than Beverly Hills. It's the same feeling I have when I'm in L.A. It's not a place where I belong.

Bitch and moan, bitch and moan. It's just a disappointment as I'd cancelled on visiting out here a couple of times before and now I'm wondering why I'm here in the first place. I need to embrace the best of the experience, but it's been a challenge to say the least.

On the positive and fun side, I got an email from some guy who is compiling a book of quotations and is putting me in it. It'll be in Dutch, so I only know one person who might want a copy, but I find it very groovy that I'm quotable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.