Thursday, April 13, 2006

Winter of illness

This has been the Winter of Illness. I am currently fighting my THIRD cold since the seasons changed. One cold is acceptable and even expected. The second came directly as a result of the long plane ride back from Italy. Again, acceptable given the circumstances. But a third cold? I went to go visit Guarded Goddess on Thursday, because she was sick. I brought food and a movie, and walked away with my body swarming with fresh germs. I thought, "hey, I just got over the cold. I'll be fine. My immune system is all adjusted." I was a fool. A damn fool.

So, it's been a week now, and I feel about a half degree off. Everything I do feels like I'm in a somewhat dream-like state. I walk around the office and everything feels unreal. I'm functional, but that's about it.

I managed to get another RadioStar show episode up on time, barely. Otherwise, last night was all about waiting for Safeway to deliver my groceries and watching Watership Down.

I am a big fan of online grocery shopping and home delivery. It's one of the reasons I knew I'd be ok with selling my car back in November. When I was in Chicago, the only need I had of a car was getting my wife to therapy every week, and getting groceries. Well, without a wife with more issues than a periodical rack and with home grocery delivery, I'm peachy!

There is the slight danger, of course, of getting something you ordered without fully understanding what you wanted. I ordered what I thought were freezer bags and I got 4-gallon bags instead. I'm not sure what I'll use them for yet, but I'm sure as hell not putting individual chicken breasts in them.

As for Watership Down. I watched this in the theatre when it was new. My brother took me, having no idea that this was not a "kid's movie". I think I can most certainly ascribe this film, and "The Mouse and His Child" as the two animated films that most clearly impacted my artistic and intellectual early development. Yeah, there was Star Wars, but these adult "cartoons" are the stuff that gets burrowed deep in the brain and sleeps... waiting for a chance to infuse every cute and cuddly thing with thoughts of mortality, god, destiny and fear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are a damn fool but that's what we love about you! *smooch*

Also the Jewel by me (1/2 block) apparently does deliver tho I've never use that service (I hae a "old lady shoping cart!), but Taraaaaaaa does tho that Jewel is 3.5 blocks from her, I don;t know if you remember where we are to each other.

Oh, on a completely unrelated note, I am this years Tara and Mary has stopped speaking to me, it's a long and annoying story.

Oh and on another completely unrelated note Chris has. The. Coolest. First. Job. Ever! What you may ask?
He is an usher at Wrigley!!! He gets to see Cubs games for not only free but gets paid!! Got his first paycheck today! Dear God I am officially OLD!! WAH!

Kisses
Debbie