Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Preview

We have our Preview tonight. It's odd, having only two days in the theatre, and then a preview, and then two days off before opening. But then again, theatre is odd in general.

I try and get as much done in advance as possible, because things always go wrong. Better to deal with the handful of disasters than have to deal with them AND everything that got put off until the last possible minute. There's still things that have just not gotten done before now, but it's the big nasty "what the fuck?" things that make me want to crawl in a hole and cover my head.

We've gone through a few different options of how to deal with working around, or within, the "Papa" set, which is the big budget show before ours. The current, and final option is to hang microfiliment wire from the lighting grid at appropriate places and then hook fabric panels to them and allow them to drape easily over the set. We have the fabric, the grommets, the hooks and the wire. I was going to work with the theatre rep. to do these yesterday before our dress rehearsal but he got pulled away for the day. I was going to work with him today, but he got pulled out of the city and won't be back until late night. So I'm leaving work early to go and climb ladders, measure wire, and try not to kill myself. We have our first audience tonight and it'd be awful nice to have a set.

I've been checking some of the places we're supposed to be listed, and so far so good. On the odd front, however, is our listing in SFGate.com (the SF Chronicle). The entire description of the show (and I sent them a nice short blurb on the plot) is: "Dan Wilson's new social satire".

That's it.

It borders on "Mostly Harmless", and I'm not sure if I should be offended or amused. I mean, I suppose it's nice to know that my name is the only relevant information. If it's Dan Wilson's new satire, what more need be said? And here I thought that the average theatre goer didn't have any idea who I was. Not only do they obviously all know, but my name is all the information they need to come see the show!

Ok, I think I'm actually offended. I'm not sure how to change this other than email the Weekly and the Chronicle and re-send them the description.

Criminy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that Mr. Shaw once complained about the same thing.

Most artists consider their work to be more eloquent than their names (although there is a boisterous truckload of exceptions), so it's nice to know that you're an artist. :)

(though I had guessed that already).

Now to actually see a play of yours!