Monday, June 26, 2006

Crossed Wires

So, this weekend was a success, and a disaster... depending on your point of view.

The show opened. People seem to have enjoyed it. We successfully managed to change the set from the show before us to our set in 20 minutes, and that was with some significant problems. I was able to make various repairs to the set between shows and we found a better way to handle some of the furniture and have begun conversations on how to do this whole thing better next year. I went to a meditation workshop that Cindy Yee was running, saw Jack Rucker for the first time in a good four years, had dinner with Anais Delamour, saw Trish Tillman's show and got some great ideas for future script while talking with Gigi and Warren Jensen.

On the other hand, the Guardian reviewer got confused as to when our show started and missed our opening night, delaying our review by a week. The Bay Times reviewer needed a photograph and I managed to confuse both myself and my photographer so that we almost lost our review. Attendance was excruciatingly low, partly due to it being Pride Weekend. They physical demands of setting up and striking the show every night are about ready to do me in. My confirmation email to one of my rental clients got stuck in his spam folder so he thought he didn't have anywhere to rehearse, and I was relying on his presence in the room to allow another client into the room... so I lost rental income for both clients as the second one couldn't get into the room.

In short, it's been a busy, busy weekend and I was about ready to chuck everything this morning. Fortunately, time passed and my mood calmed and I can see both the good and the bad right now.

Still, I'm glad that I didn't have rehearsal tonight.

No comments: