Tuesday, June 13, 2006

seeds

Vagina Dentata opens next week. We have a preview on Wednesday, and then opening night is Saturday at 10pm. The show is shaping up nicely, although I'm getting a bit stressed over the technical details surrounding it.

I was interested, however, in something I came across while removing furniture from my apartment to be used as set for the show. I found the little notebook I purchased when in Hawaii this last December. Inside were notes and thoughts and little bits of poetry that I wrote while on the beach. I was musing on the themes of my unfinished play, "Mammals in Collision", but in it, I see the seeds of what became Vagina Dentata:

"While actions may speak louder, it is through words that we best hide.
Rationales move to excuses, and in their recursive maze we lose ourselves and others, until we cannot admit, even to ourselves, what base need urged the words that first crawled from our self-deceiving lips.
The further we creep up the scale of so-called evolution, the further we move from knowing ourselves and that which drives our every thought.
We hide from that which we fear, but over time the stranger to what we hold most dear becomes ourselves,whom we have lost in a million polite excuses and enlightened precepts.
We damn and curse our hungers, decried as lusts of beasts, as though we came from different blood and flesh and knew no tears but those of aether, spirit, and air.
Yet deep behind the alphabet of ideas and masks lies bone, blood, sweat and life.
We crave, consume, desire and want so deeply that our souls quail at such passion.
It is unthinking, uncaring of lofty goals or hopes for kith, kin, and kind.
All that remains are the unenlightened drugs of taste and touch.
There is no truth here, but only sweet and savage release."

No comments: