Sunday, June 18, 2006

Those final feet

Vagina Dentata opens in less than a week. The show feels 95% ready, which is phenomenal. Tonight we move the set into the theatre and figure out exactly how the hell we're doing to do this thing technically, since there's another show in the same theatre with a rather ornate and immobile set that we need to conceal and replace within 20 minutes for each of our shows.

Fun, eh?

I think we've got a good solution, which involves accordion-like beams that screw into the stage that will allow us to have a free standing backdrop with only about twelve screws. No one approaches it, so we'll see how our engineering works out.

We've got a preview on Wednesday, and our first paying audience on Saturday. My only trepidation is on the technical side of things, and even the it's mostly about the time between "Papa" and "Vagina Dentata".

-------

The lovely Sofia Ahmad sent me this fabulous bit of mad science. While I found the videos fantastic, it's the explanation of the volatile reaction of Diet Coke to Mentos that really got me. She'll be doing Shakespeare in Santa Cruz this summer, so go see her wonderfulness if you're in the area.

-------

Alexis Dinno is now Dr. Lexicat, thank you very much. I was able to make a very belated appearance at her post doctoral shindig at a Fellini's in Berkeley last night, although I spent a good chunk of that time hounding Kevin Kerrick, an actor I'm trying to recruit for the Fringe Festival show in September, who happened to be at the bar. Small town(s). Alexis is now officially a super genius with a funny hat. A thousand toasts in her honor!

--------

I'm still getting used to the idea of having a very part time personal assistant. I had a business brunch with Mindy yesterday before rehearsal and was delighted to find that things that had been on my to-do list for a year were finally "magically" happening!

That's pretty much it in Dan-Land right now. I'm going to go and edit this week's RadioStar Improv show while I still can. Once 5:30pm hits, my life is nothing but WestEd and Vagina Dentata until Thursday.

No comments: