Friday, April 20, 2007

Casting Director

Diana Brown once forcefully reminded me that in my own small way, I hold people's hopes and dreams in my hands. I have a hard time seeing that, as my productions are small theatre and my company is still finding its feet, but nevertheless it's true. Every show you do is a stepping stone to the next one, and every connection you make pushes you farther in your career. As much as I tend to underplay my role in the theatre community, I am a provider of work for local actors and artists.

So, I shouldn't be surprised when I get unsolicited headshots and cover letters in the mail. I got one about a week ago, as I was heading out to look at a potential venue out in Fruitvale (a rather rough district in Oakland). I ended up using the large envelope to take copious notes on, but didn't look at the headshot until later.

A few notes, for those of you who are doing headshots and resumes. Firstly, ask yourself what it is that you want to communciate about yourself? This particular headshot went from the bottom of the bust to the top of the head, and she was wearing an outfit that was sleeveless and completely open all the way to cleavage. About 25% of the area of the photo is exposed skin from cleavage to chin and shoulder to shoulder (thin straps) and a large necklace that could be a sunburst or could be a paint splatter... like a pattern you might get from a paintball gun. On the back of the resume, under Skills, at the very end but spaced so as to give it emphasis are the following factioids: "I speak fluent Ob", "Former Girl Scout" and "My tongue is long".

Granted, her resume makes it clear that she does musicals, stand up comedy, improv and more. Still, it is not terribly wise to submit a headshot and resume that draws focus primarly to your upper torso, with a large metal symbol that looks like a liquid struck you at high impact right above your breasts, and point out that you have a very long tongue.

Well, depending on what kind of work you're looking for, maybe that is what you want to send out.

1 comment:

miika said...

Ah, now I see what you were speaking of yesterday.

Hm. Perhaps that is what I've been doing wrong all these years with the piano and thus failing to reflect my talents in an obvious blatant manner (^_^)