Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Expo

Last night was the Theatre Bay Area Expo. I got a booth for Cassandra's Call Productions, marketing the rehearsal room, Radiostar, and our improv groups for corporate events. I hadn't been to a TBA Expo before, so I wasn't sure what to expect but it seemed like a pretty good sized crowd given what it was. We had a decent amount of traffic and sat next to Custom Made Theatre, which was appropriate since our rehearsal room is next door to their theatre space. I think I was able to raise awareness and hopefully I'll see some new renters for the space and new listeners for Radiostar. A lot of the folks there were actors, though, and they would have probably been happier if we were advertising general auditions.

Still, I saw Dylan Russell, and had a good chat about getting me information on scripts she wants to do this fall, so that seems to still be a viable option. I was also able to chat a bit with Michael Rice over at Cool As Hell Theatre podcast, who has interviewed me a few times.

In any event, it's one more thing off my list of things to worry about.

I got chapter seven of the novel finished, finally, thanks to the gracious support of Mayuko. Who knew that having a girlfriend might actually *help* my productivity? Tonight I hope to edit another couple of episodes of Submergency and do some work for my outside clients. Tomorrow's Radiostar show is done, fortunately, so there's no need to sweat that at all.

I've taken on another project as well. I'm working with a principal in the Fruitvale district of Oakland about getting their old auditorium up to snuff to be used by the community as a performance and cultural center. I did a lot of assessing last week and need to write up a proposal for what needs to be done to make it all happen. I don't think that I'll be able to be the primary person on this, with everything else that is going on, but hopefully I can get it jump started and connect the school with the artists who can make things happen. It's all very exciting, but also very intimidating as the building hasn't really been touched in decades.

In further news, I've accepted a role in Antero Alli's next film, "The Invisible Forest." I'll be playing myself playing Prospero. It looks like it will be an interesting project, although it is requiring me to grow my hair and beard long for the role. We start shooting in late July, so I'll be very, very shaggy by that point. Mayu is being exceedingly accepting of my big bristly face.

On the social front, this weekend was full of goodies. Tristan Goldstein had a birthday party, we had lunch in Japantown with Mayu's friends, and volleyball in Lake Merritt park with coworkers. People keep asking me how I fit it all in, and I'm honestly not sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm growing my hair out for The Invisible Forest, too, though I dislike having facial hair so much that I probably won't stop shaving my face until mid-July. We get to hang out in the woods and be shaggy hippies together! Looking forward to working with you again.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! You're going to play Prospero.. I would very much like to see you act. I think it is a tremendous thing to watch someone who writes plays act in somebody else's play. I am reading a lot of Oscar Wilde now, and I will be in the mood for theater when I return to the USA in a week.

Anonymous said...

Who knew you were *such* a slacker. Hee.

Also why have I not heard about you
a) writing a novel
b) having a new [ish (presumably)]girlfriend

Sniff, we never talk anymore.

Smooches,
Debbie