Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sweetie Tanya

I'm writing a play that will go up at the Darkroom Theatre in January. It's a musical serial killer comedy about sexual harrassment in the workplace called "'Sweetie' Tanya, the Demon Barista of Valencia Street". As the title indicates it's a loose riff on the fantastic Sondheim musical, "Sweeny Todd", although in the end I expect that the show will actually bear only a superficial relationship to the source material. If anything, Sweeny Todd will serve as a substrata of the play, offering a variety of in-jokes for those who enjoy such things.

I was hesitant to approach a single musician to score the play, as the last musical I wrote has been indefinitely derailed due to life happening. (It took me three years to write the first draft, and the composer has had a variety of life altering events happen since then)

So I had the idea of contacting a variety of musicians and asking them each to contribute a song. Top of my list was Rachel Efron, who has played before a couple of my other shows. The opening song is a direct riff on Sondheim's score, but the second song was one that I immediately knew I wanted Rachel to write. I hadn't heard a word from her in about six months, but I fired off my proposal and the lyrics for the first piece I had written, letting her know that I was in no way committed to those particular words.

She got the email after returning from a trip and immediately went for a walk. When she returned from her walk, she had "A Fearful Thing to Dream" completed in her head. I went over to listen to it last night.

If every song is this good, this show is going to go very, very far. She had taken the mood of what I had written and a few of the images and core phrases and created something infinately more haunting and beautiful than anything I could have conceived of. And to make it even better, she asked if I wanted a second song and played me a melody that she has in her head that needs some words. It was light and fun and playful and I am going to use it for the middle of Tanya's killing spree.

I have the lyric outline ready for the next song "I Know I Shouldn't" and will be passing it on to the next composer in the next day or two.

1 comment:

miika said...

Ohhhh, can't wait to catch this show, sweetie!

Literally, from conception, birth, and forward...the entire creative process. I'm sure it will echo sentiments from myself as well as the entire female population stuck in the workforce.