Saturday, January 19, 2008

oddly calm

It's been a very busy week at work, and socially as well. I saw Golden Thread's collection of short plays dealing with issues in the Middle East, and with being Middle Eastern. A mixed bag, but a very good evening for reflection and companionship. Game night before that, and then the show last night. It's been a week of excitement with the show, as the SF Weekly came out with a two page spread about the show. I was completely gobsmacked. We got a very positive write up in the SF Bay Times as well. Getting the call on Friday that the SF Weekly critic had just been on a local Jazz/public radio station, animatedly praising our show for two full minutes during rush hour pretty much sent me into orbit.

We had a good, but not sold out show on Friday night. They were a quiet bunch, which I hoped was due to the exhaustion of seeing a 10pm show on a Friday night. I seem to have been right, as they warmed up as the show moved on and the applause was thunderous at the end of the evening. People keep telling me that this is a show that could "run forever". It's a bit frightening, actually, to be sitting on something with this much potential. I can only comfort myself that I haven't screwed it up yet, and to keep trusting my instincts.

Today I had a film audition that I very nearly didn't go to. This would have been a large mistake, as what I thought was a faux commercial by Academy of Art University students turned out to be a national commercial for the University itself. I spent a half hour with the director and his crew and had a lovely time with them. We'll see if I get the role or not, but regardless of that I'm very glad to have gone.

It also got me downtown to meet with a friend and walk around Chinatown like a couple of tourists. My movements through San Francisco's Chinatown have always been a "get from A to B" affair, and casually strolling and window shopping on what must be the most temperate day of the year has settled me into a deep and graceful calm. I'm attending laundry and dishes, and doing a general clean and re-organization of the house right now.

And I'm profoundly happy.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I am glad, Dan. You have earned every inch of this success.

"It's about time..."

xo

Kate