Saturday, January 05, 2008

Sweetie Tanya has come to town

We opened tonight. The day was fraught with 70mph winds, major power outages in the Mission, bridge closures, BART delays, and torrential downpours. I was convinced that no one would be in the house for our opening night.

Then, almost miraculously, it cleared. We not only had people in the audience, we had far more than I had hoped for.

And the show worked. It worked pretty much exactly as I had hoped it would. I was feeling pretty confident after our tiny test audience saw it the previous night, but I wasn't expecting the thunderous applause at the end of the show. I wasn't expecting the continual laughter throughout, and the gasps of shock, and the bloodthirsty delight that came from our small crowd.

We nailed it.

I'm so exhausted.

I'm so happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased, Dan. I'll come by next week. I'm gonna try to catch Sweeney in movie form before hand, since, being only 1/8 theater dork, I've never seen it. Let me know if you think I should see it cold.

Portland Urban Sketchers said...

AWESOME!!!!
sorry i didn't make it for the test run - i was struggling with a bad cough and finally decided i'd better lay low that night.

having seen you go through a lot of ups and downs in theatre, as is the game, it feels really gratifying to see your successes getting escalated in both intensity and frequency in recent years.

love,
K