Thursday, January 31, 2008

The White Terror

I went to go see Crisis Hopkins and Revolving Madness at the Climate Theatre last night. I didn't mean to become part of the show, but these things kind of happen. Contributing a location for one of their scenes was standard audience behavior, but then they needed a book to pull words from and I was one of the few people in the audience carrying a book around with me. I've just started reading the Devil in the White City, which got a variety of comments from the gang onstage. At the end, as the end of the freestyle love-contest, they were trying to get people up on stage. They eventually got one guy up who was a good sport about the whole thing, but they wanted more people.

I am not a rapper. I do not aspire to be a rapper. I have considered practicing freestyle rap improv as a skill builder, but have not done so yet. Still, you do not leave improvisors on stage, twisting in the wind. It was very clear that no body else was going to go up and vibe was getting a little uncomfortable, so I stood up.

I muddled through. People seemed impressed that I didn't completely fall apart on stage and had a good humor about it. I also seem to have acquired a new nickname: the White Terror.

Yo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was excellent having you join us Dan. Freestyling is so daunting, and I'm glad you dove in. You did really well.

RE: The Devil in the White City -
Some guy in the front row actually booed the book. Did you hear that???

Thanks again for your many contributions last night. It was a great time.
sam