Monday, March 26, 2007

crisis of faith

It can be frustrating to put a lot of effort and talent into a project and have it received well... by a very small number of people. This weekend was the brief run of "Nothing in the Dark" for the Twilight Zone festival. Friday night was respectably full, but Saturday brought inclement weather and only ten to fifteen audience members. Sunday afternoon brought a similarly small crowd.

The show was good, but fewer than 60 people saw it. This is the danger of small theatre, but it really hit me this time out. Why do I keep investing so much into endeavors that bear so little fruit? Am I still paying dues, or just choosing the wrong projects?

Granted, within a few hours I was contemplating future projects, so I suppose that the addiction won't be shaken so easily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw.

I'm sorry the response was limited and small in attendance, but don't despair or worry about your investments turning stagnant. For in the hearts of artistic people, if what you have produced and presented was in the directives of your passions, then there are no conclusions that bear the term "fruitless"...what I saw that evening, and consequently thereafter, was by the very least, your innate talent in producing something very magical and binding in memory.

I did not mention it, but Friday's performance...at the very end, where Marilyn turns and acquiesces to Officer Belden's outstretched hand, the mood-music-denouement, moved me to tears.

That, was art.

Unknown said...

Dan -

Some of your frustration may lay in the fact that it was such a short run. I felt this way after my episode. So much work for so little. I really wanted to stage it for another weekend.

Oh well. It was a great job on the part of you and your actors and you should be proud.