Friday, March 30, 2007

All gas is deadly, not just mine

First off, thanks to Christopher DeJong for alerting me to this article about Biodiesel fraud.

Here's an excerpt: "Already we know that biofuel is worse for the planet than petroleum. The UN has just published a report suggesting that 98% of the natural rainforest in Indonesia will be degraded or gone by 2022. Just five years ago, the same agencies predicted that this wouldn't happen until 2032. But they reckoned without the planting of palm oil to turn into biodiesel for the European market. This is now the main cause of deforestation there and it is likely soon to become responsible for the extinction of the orang-utan in the wild.

But it gets worse. As the forests are burned, both the trees and the peat they sit on are turned into carbon dioxide. A report by the Dutch consultancy Delft Hydraulics shows that every tonne of palm oil results in 33 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions, or 10 times as much as petroleum produces. I feel I need to say that again. Biodiesel from palm oil causes 10 times as much climate change as ordinary diesel."

Welcome to the road of good intentions, folks.

-----------

My XBox 360 came in the mail and I hooked it up last night. Say goodbye to productivity, although I have a few things that will force me away from the controller for a bit. Still, I got it all set up and will activate my XBox Live account this weekend. Drop me a line if you want my ID. I'm currently playing Oblivion, which I'd seen on Kurt Larsen's PC a year ago, and it looks even better on my wall.

-----------

While I still don't know what we're doing for a Fall show, I have confirmed a project for Cassandra's Call Productions for the Darkroom Theatre in January. I am currently writing "'Sweetie' Tanya, the Demon Barista of Valencia Street", an exploration of sexual harassment in the service industry masquerading as a musical horror comedy. I'm pleased to announce that Bryce Byerley has already agreed to play the narrator, "Mad Biscuit". More details as they develop.

-----------

Finally. for those interested in seeing Julie Kurtz completely "face" me during our last Submergency show in December...

1 comment:

Jana Bouc said...

Wow! What a drag about the biofuel! But I loved the face off and especially your take on the world's worst portajohn cleaner: "chicken" -- hilarious! And the proctologist was hysterical too! You are one brilliant funny guy (with the golden touch as well!)