Saturday, March 25, 2006

what we might become

I saw "V for Vendetta" with Guarded Goddess and another friend last night. A lot of folks are seeing it tonight, but I'll be seeing Dark Princess' new show then.

I quite liked the film, although I haven't read the book yet (shocking, I know) and I was deeply disturbed by the film's seeming assent to "V"s treatment of Evie.

But that's not what I want to talk about.

Afterwards, we got thai food and talked about the film. Guarded Goddess had read a lot of articles and reviews of the film that were shocked and appalled at the film's insensitivity to the victims of terrorist attack, to it's unfriendly attitude towards Americans, and the clear references to post 9/11 culture (both American and British... but mostly American). I suppose it is to be expected, but it still bothers me.

In so many ways, this film is a warning. "We can become this. In some ways we already have. Don't let this happen." If there is a single message here, this is it. Of course, there is no single message in this film, but I think you see my point. It frightens me that people would see this film, which is literally screaming at them to do whatever it takes to prevent despotism and terror in the name of "safety" and "morality" from destroying us... and they complain that the film is insensitive, whine about it being critical and angry at America, and howl that it portrays the government unflatteringly.

After 9/11, I talked to friends from other countries, places that deal with terrorism and bombs and violence every day. They are strong. They face it with understanding and a willingness to explore the reasons for the violence and address those reasons. They find the ability to laugh, and aren't worried about being offended because people choose to dialog about it, or even find the black humor in it. It is part of the fabric of life to them. But Americans... we cower, we make excuses, we sign away our rights and the rights of others, we flinch at a stiff breeze, and we hide behind a flag the color of tears, blood, and fear.

It's about time we grew up and stop behaving like pampered, selfish, spoiled children.

No comments: